Founder & Director
Principal Accredited Practising Dietitian
Credentialed Eating Disorder Clinician
Mon, Wed, Fri & Sat
In-person & Telehealth
Ciao, I’m Sonya.
At the young age of 25, I opened Dietwise, now my 30-year-old labour of love. I am as passionate about my craft today as I was when I graduated in 1992. Leading our team of friendly, fun, and dedicated humans fills my cup every day and I can never imagine myself doing anything else. My career has been a rainbow of colours. From flying around in helicopters for corporate nutrition work for BHP, being an expert witness in a legal case, supervising Masters’ students, university lecturing, speaking gigs, board Director of Dietitians Australia, Head of Department at Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital to establishing a nutrition service in the North Metro new Mental Health Unit. Every step of the way my career has been rich and rewarding.
Lived experience of trauma, 30 years of clinical experience, and being a mother to 4 exceptional young men have gifted me with a tapestry woven full of diverse experiences laying a rich foundation for my work alongside patients at Dietwise. This is particularly helpful in my challenging work with weight and body image concerns, disordered eating and eating disorders.
With an Italian heritage and love of the Mediterranean diet, I believe the dinner table should be the heart of every home. It represents a place of gratitude, and connection with others, and a space to rediscover the joy of food, eating and body peace by using your body’s inner wisdom. I am a carbohydrate-loving non-diet Dietitian, using a weight-neutral approach and practising Health At Every Size® (HAES®). I believe eating is an act of self-care to feed, fuel, repair, renourish, connect, and bring joy underpinning every aspect of my work. I am so glad you found me and my team at Dietwise.
Training & Credentials
- Bachelor of Science (Nutrition and Food Science)- Curtin University
- Postgraduate Diploma in Dietetics- Curtin University
- Credentialed Eating Disorder Clinician (CEDC)- ANZAED
- Skills Based CBT-E Clinical Workshop- University of Oxford
- Enhanced Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT-E) for Eating Disorders- WAEDOCS
- Eating Disorder Training Essentials and Masterclass for Dietitians- WAEDOCS
- Understanding the Principles & Complexities of ARFID Management for Dietitians- WAEDOCS
- Temperament-Based Treatment with Supports (TBT-S)
- Youth Mental Health First Aider- MHFA
- The Low FODMAP Diet for IBS- Monash University
- Dietitians Australia (DA)
- Australia & New Zealand Academy for Eating Disorders (ANZAED)
- National Eating Disorder Collaboration (NEDC)
- Academy for Eating Disorders (AED)
- International Federation of Eating Disorder Dietitians (IFEDD)
- Eating Disorder Registered Dietitians & Professionals (EDRDPro)
- Association for Size Diversity and Health (ASDAH)
- Australian & New Zealand Mental Health Association (ANZMHA)
- North American Menopause Society (NAMS)
A quote I taught my sons
"The standard you walk past is the standard you accept”- David Morrison