There are many emotional and physical benefits for both you and your baby from breastfeeding, also known as the fourth trimester. Breast milk supports your baby’s brain development and increases gut microbiome diversity. For mums, it can reduce the risk of breast cancer, ovarian cancer and osteoporosis, and ensures a quicker return of the uterus to its pre-pregnancy size.
How our dietitians can help with breastfeeding
Breastfeeding can be a beautiful but challenging time for both mum and bub and at Dietwise we’re here to help you with this transition. We’ll check in with you about your eating habits, making sure you’re keeping up with the additional nutrition needs of breastfeeding – because let’s face it, you’ve just taken on another full-time job. Our Dietitians can help with:
- ensuring key nutritional requirements are met e.g. protein, calcium, iron and iodine
- providing evidence-based recommendations for nutrition supplementation
- educating about caffeine, alcohol and food allergens
- providing tips to boost breast milk production and prevent dehydration
- providing simple and practical strategies to help simplify and streamline meal planning, food shopping and cooking
We’ll also be there to answer all your questions including:
- should I be avoiding any foods?
- how much alcohol is safe?
- should I be taking any supplements?
- how do I reduce the risk of food allergies in my baby?